So here I am, the last Friday of the holidays, frantically trying to get my shit together for Monday morning. I already spent the better part of 4 hours at school today organising my room, marking books, putting up new displays and generally trying to get back into the rhythm.
Looking around my room today started to make me a little sad. I have really grown to love the kids in my room and it is sad to think that in a mere 10 weeks they won't be mine anymore, not to mention 16 of them will have left the school probably never to be seen again. It made me start to wonder today if they were ready, if they would handle high school and its challenges. I can say that without a doubt most of them are. I have started to notice little things that make me think you need a new challenge but there are 2 kids who I worry about. How will they adjust to a completely different situation? How can they handle the expectations of HS when sometimes primary seems too much? I have spoken to fellow teachers who have told me that it is normal to have kids like that and they'll be fine but I can't help but worry...
Last term I had a mini-meltdown where I was ready to give up on it all. I had overworked myself, worried too much about the little things and let the fun go out of my life and my teaching. After I melted, I stepped back and readjusted my thinking and ended up finishing the term exactly the way I wanted, having fun. Looking towards term 4, I can't wait to enjoy every day. Not only do my kids deserve to have fun whilst learning, but I deserve it too. I know it is going to be a hectic term that flies by before I even realise, but I have made myself a vow that even when I am up to my neck in reports, yearbooks, powerpoints, accreditation, that I will take the time to smile, breathe in, breathe out and be thankful that I get to spend my days doing what I love.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment